Thursday, July 14, 2011

Celebrating Obama's Second Anniversary

Two Years Since Obama Took Ownership of the Economy

">

“My administration has a job to do as well. That job is to get this economy back on its feet," President Obama said at a speech at Macomb Community College in Warren, Mississippi. "That's my job, and it's a job I gladly accept. I love these folks who helped get us in this mess and then suddenly say, ‘Well this is Obama's economy.’ That's fine. Give it to me. My job is to solve problems, not to stand on the sidelines and carp and gripe. So, I welcome the job. I want the responsibility."

But Obama's prior claim of ownership of the economy has not meant that he's a willing negotiator in the current debt ceiling budget talks. Yesterday, reportedly, the president "shoved back and said ‘I’ll see you tomorrow’ and walked out," according to House majority leader Eric Cantor. (Democratic aides say Cantor's account is "overblown.") As Fred Barnes explains of the current debate, "Obama desperately needs a way to blame Republicans for the bad economy."

No comments: