Friday, June 10, 2011

The U.S. Dept. of Eugenics - Part 3

"In the two years since I implemented the policies now used at the Department of Eugenics, American exports have increased, crime has decreased and the housing market is stronger than ever," are the words I use to begin justifying my existence.

An Asian male, 50, a Caucasian female, 47, and an African-America male, 38, will decide my fate. Though my approval was required before they were offered their high-paying positions, I am unaware of their actual names.

"I wrote the manual used at each processing facility, trained many of your colleagues, and quickly rectify any problem facing the Department. I'm the only one alive with knowledge of every aspect; save the procedure following judgment society will benefit by sacrificing one of its own."

I speak until the buzzer sounds.

The Asian male judge begins the questioning...

"You're confident The Department of Eugenics runs smoothly?"

"Extremely."

"On what date was the official manual last amended?"

"I can't say for certain... Been about seven months I suppose."

"A major overhaul?"

"A typographical error was corrected."

"So other than standard maintenance, that job is complete?"

"I suppose. But please remember I often teach in the flesh."

"Understood," he says, writing.

"While perusing my notes, taken during your last lecture, I counted four discrepancies between your verbal and written instructions," begins the only female judge. "For the express purpose of ensuring consistency, why didn't you study your own manual before speaking? Similarly, wouldn't eliminating your lectures help ensure a well-focused, non-contradictory message?"

"I... Well I think knowledge is retained at a higher percentage when, you know, it's heard, as opposed to read."

"You think, or you know?"

"I can site no particular study..."

"Question and answer portions of your lectures always include improvised information, correct?" the African-American judge asks.

"Well of course. By nature..."

"Thank you, sir; you've answered my first question... While initially considered perfect for your current job, the nature of the beast has made you extremely unpopular with the American people. What are your plans after you leave the Department?"

"I've been so focused; I haven't given it a thought."

"Doors to bureaucracies will be closed to you. I know your degrees are in public policy; do you have any entrepreneurial experience?"

"A lack of experience doesn't necessarily mean a successful business is out of reach. Many colleagues have made the successful transaction," I argue.

"You taught us to strictly deal in percentages... You have two boys?" the judge continues.

"That's right."

"So your family name will likely continue long after you're gone?"

“One can never guarantee..."

"Your wife is thriving at the Pentagon and approaching the age most doctors deem it unhealthy to reproduce. In the last year, have you two even discussed having another child?"

"We have not."

"No more questions."

Hastily, the judges exit the room.

No comments: