Thursday, August 30, 2012

When did the first law against felons owning guns first appear?

Free Republic

Posted on Thursday August 30, 07:39:43 GMT-0400 2012 by knarf

I was thinking about the law that allows some felons to vote and some could not, depending on the state ...

and I wondered also about the gun issue.

If a felon with a gun violation could vote in some states, why couldn't a felon WITHOUT a gun violation NOT vote in others.

I couldn't reconcile these thoughts (outside of states rights), and then I wondered ...

WHEN did the law that prevented a felon from owning a gun first appear on the books ... and why.

I really tried to research and find this answer, but I apparently don't know the correct reference word or it is something that just ... appears.

Can anyone shed some light on this

Thanx


REPLIES:

To: knarf

That would be the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618).

Signed by President Johnson on 22 October 1968.

It prohibited convicted felons from purchasing or possessing firearms



To: knarf

IIRC the gun control act of 1968 made it illegal for felons to own guns. I’m not sure, but it is a place to start.



To: knarf

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91942478

US GUN LAWS: A HISTORY

Semper Guns!
*****


To: knarf

As far as I’m concerned any man not in prison should be able to own a gun.

No comments: