Saturday, December 27, 2014

Open Borders Update: Border State Sees First Confirmed Measles Case Since 2012


The New Mexico Department of Health is warning families about the first confirmed case of measles they've seen in more than two years. The patient, only one year old, has been treated and sent home from the hospital. But the DOH still has a message for New Mexicans, and that's to make sure they are up to date on vaccinations.
CHRISTUS St. Vincent Hospital saw the case last week; it was a scare for those who know how dangerous it can be.  
"It's a serious disease and it can affect your nervous system, and I know as a childhood disease it can be pretty serious," Peter Chandler said.
The Department of Health says the case was the first treated in New Mexico this year, but nationwide, it's been a record year for measles, with triple the cases seen the past few years.
"I read on the Internet that it's coming back because less people are aware that their immunizations are as important as they are," Chandler said.
The CDC says some people refuse to get vaccinated, citing philosophical health or religious reasons.
But after hearing about the one-year-old who got measles, some people say anyone who can get the vaccine should.
"Take care of your family first so you take care of others, and protect yourself," Jackie Horton said.
Health officials say 80 to 89 percent of New Mexicans have already gotten the vaccine. They're asking those who haven't to do so.


No comments: