Tuesday, December 23, 2014

ABSOLUTELY WTF?: Former Harrisburg City Treasurer John Campbell asks for donations to repay money from nonprofits THAT HE STOLED!!!

12/23/2014

Spy the Democrat...
Former Harrisburg City Treasurer John Campbell walks into the Dauphin County Prison for a preliminary hearing on theft charges, Thursday, Oct. 2, 2014. Mark Pynes | mpynes@pennlive.com


HARRISBURG- Former Harrisburg City Treasurer John Campbell made a career out of raising money for nonprofit organizations.

Now, Campbell, 26, is trying to raise money to repay what district attorneys say he stole from two nonprofits.

Campbell sent an email late last month to friends asking for donations to a restitution fund, which would be used to repay about $11,250 that has been document as missing so far from the Historic Harrisburg Association and the Capital Regional Stonewall Democrats.

"Many of you have expressed interest in helping financially and emotionally," his email said. "My court date for sentencing is scheduled for mid December.  It would will (sic) help with the favorable disposition of my case tremendously if I am able to offer restitution."

Campbell's court hearing set for Monday Dec. 22 was continued to February. His attorney, Adam Klein, said Campbell on Monday could have pleaded guilty, requested a trial or asked for a continuance from Dauphin County Judge Scott A. Evans.

"We continued the case because we are working on securing restitution and the DA's office has not completed its investigation," Klein said.

Dauphin County District Attorney Ed Marsico confirmed Monday that the investigation was continuing to determine the extent of the thefts.

Klein and Campbell declined to comment about the fundraising email.

Campbell last appeared in court in October, where he waived his preliminary hearing. He has been charged with two felony theft charges and a misdemeanor charge of unfair or deceptive acts or fraudulent conduct.

The charges stemmed from unauthorized checks he allegedly wrote to himself from Historic Harrisburg, where he served as executive director, and from a political action committee, Capital Regional Stonewall Democrats, for which he served as treasurer. A review of the City of Harrisburg's bank accounts showed no breaches, city officials have said.

When the theft charges surfaced, Campbell had already stepped down from Historic Harrisburg to accept another job with Equality Pennsylvania. He later resigned as city treasurer and treasurer of the Stonewall Democrats, was suspended by his new employer and issued a letter of contrition.

It's unclear if Campbell is currently employed.

In his fundraising email, which was sent to an unknown number of undisclosed recipients, Campbell asked for donations to a "restoration fund" that will be handled by his church, Market Square Presbyterian. Donations will be handled directly by the church to the court, Campbell noted.

 "Some of you have asked if there is any tangible way by which you may help me as I struggle to reconstitute my life and standing within the community after my actions led me to being arrested this fall on theft charges...While there are no excuses I could offer that make my actions remotely less shameful, I hope that you will continue to stand with me as I travel this new journey of self exploration and contrition."

Campbell's pastor also issued a statement to PennLive Monday that said the fund was created so church members could help Campbell make financial restitution.

"John Campbell is a son of our church and in our congregation we care for one another both in times of joy and delight and when the road gets harder.  We have been helping John through a difficult and regrettable time in his life," said the statement from the Rev. Thomas Sweet. "We all fall short of the glory of God and are, thankfully, attended by God's grace.  The Fund is one of the church's attempts to demonstrate God's grace tangibly to John as he refocuses his life."

Here is Campbell's email in its entirety:

From: John Campbell
Date: November 24, 2014
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Market Square

Some of you have asked if there is any tangible way by which you may help me as I struggle to reconstitute my life and standing within the community after my actions led me to being arrested this fall on theft charges.  As many of you have read, I have expressed my sincerest apologies to those I have harmed, however even those words do not express the embarrassment nor apologies I wish to convey for my actions.  While there are no excuses I could offer that make my actions remotely less shameful, I hope that you will continue to stand with me as I travel this new journey of self exploration and contrition.

I have taken the last three months to evaluate who I was, I am, and who I want to be.  Through the counsel of my physiologist, pastor, lawyer, friends and family I believe there is light at the end of this tunnel and I will emerge a stronger more principled individual.

Many of you have expressed interest in helping financially and emotionally.  My court date for sentencing is scheduled for mid December.  It would will help with the favorable disposition of my case tremendously if I am able to offer restitution.  To help me, my church, Market Square Presbyterian, has created a Restoration Fund to help me with restitution expenses. Monies will be handled directly between Market Square and the court.

If you would like to contribute to the Restoration Fund, you make make your check payable to Market Square Presbyterian Church, note "Restoration Fund" on the memo line and send it to the attention of (Michelle Sheaffer) at the church (20 South Second Street, Harrisburg PA 17101). 

While these times are difficult for me currently, I believe that through the strength of my friends, family, and those who have decided to stand by me, the tunnel will end and light will emerge.

Thank you for your support through this difficult time in my life.  Please continue to keep me in your prayers and thoughts.
----
John R. Campbell

UPDATE: This article was updated to add a comment from Ed Marsico.


source

No comments: