Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Roswell veterans outraged by lack of upkeep at Veteran's Cemetery

8/6/2014


Created: 08/05/2014 6:01 PM
By: Lauren Hansard, KOB Eyewitness News 4
The veteran's cemetery in Roswell has only been around for a few weeks, and it doesn't look like it's getting a lot of attention.
Already, the new cemetery is overgrown with weeds.
Veteran Bert Eldridge says the city hasn't mowed it once.
"This is the way Roswell is treating their veterans," said Eldridge. "The veterans in these graves can't fight anymore, but I can. And the veterans of Roswell are not going to put up with this."
Bert and fellow veteran Harry McGraw are outraged.
"It's a disgrace, it's a disgrace to veterans, I'm pissed off about it," said McGraw. "We got to treat our veterans better than this. We got it started, the city is supposed to take care of it."
The men wanted to mow the property themselves, but they aren't allowed to do that on city property.
"All I ask is take care of it, make it respectful for the veterans that are buried here," said Eldridge. "We have 30 veterans in here already and their families I can imagine what they feel like when they drive out here and see this."
Bert says veterans put in thousands of dollars out of their own pockets to get this cemetery open.
"I'm disgraced, I've been out of town for a week, I come out here and look and I'm so upset," said Eldridge. "I've been after the mayor, I've been after the city manager.  This is disgraceful and I will not put up with it."
Less than an hour after KOB Eyewitness News 4 started filming, the city started mowing.
Bert says it happened after he stormed the city manager's office.
"Why do I have to come and scream at you to come and cut the grass?" said Eldridge.
Bert and Harry were out there the whole time overseeing the work, even consulting with the lawn mower.
"I want this thing taken care of respectfully like veterans deserve," said Eldridge.
The city manager tells KOB Eyewitness News 4 they fell behind and have every intention of keeping it maintained going forward.




No comments: